About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. Barbra Streisand. (2012) Barbra Streisand.

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Barbra Streisand 10, Geico 5, Barbra 5, Citi 4, Marlon Brando 4, Marlon 3, Brooklyn 3, Streisand 3, Newtown 2, Cisco 2, Britta 2, Unstarry 2, Duracell 2, Cnn 2, Carl 2, Jason 2, Chosh Habal 2, Shakespeare 2, New York 1, Citi.com Pricerewind 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business. Barbra  
   Streisand.  (2012) Barbra Streisand.  

    December 26, 2012
    12:00 - 12:59am PST  

12:00am
program and made history with this statement. >> i think same-sex couples should be able to get married. >> as 2012 comes to a close, the president joined in grief with a community shocked by senseless violence. >> these tragedies must end. and to end them, we must change. >> brooke baldwin, cnn, atlanta. that's 2012. in just 60 minutes. what does 2013 hold in we'll find out together. i'm don lemon. thanks for watching. tonight, the one and only barbra streisand. ♪ of the way we were >> extraordinary hour with the legendary superstar.
12:01am
>> those men are fighting for your right to make any kind of picture you want. >> her incredible career. >> i only began to sing because i couldn't get a job as an actress. >> leading men? >> still after him. >> the greatest love of her life. >> you always ask that to people. why is that? >> and the tragedy that changed everything. >> i think it did scar me. >> plus saying no to plastic surgery and hello to fame. >> you see this as this scar, i don't see myself that way. >> barbra streisand the way she is, a funny girl. this is "piers morgan tonight." people ask me who i would most like to have on my show as a guest, one namcontinuously pops up in my mind. a voice that i believe is the greatest it's ever been. a humanitarian, a political activist, a wife a mother and she's a funny girl. she is, of course, barbra streisand.
12:02am
i even got your name right. >> did you say barbra. >> i say barbra. more important, i got streisand right. we had dinner together and you lectured me that i kept calling you barbra streisand. >> very english. >> streisand. >> by god, you've got it.
12:03am
>> now, i've just come from watching your brilliant new movie. i don't say that lightly. "guilt trip." it reminded me exactly what it would be like if i went on a road trip with my mother. about you and seth rogen, you go on this bizarre road trip together. you're the archetypical jewish mama and he's the archetypical jewish son. in a touching funny way. let's watch a clip. >> i'm over here. >> hey, ma. i see you, hey. all of new york sees you. >> oh, my god. >> good to see you. >> look at you. oh, my god. oh, my god, you're wearing a sports jacket. >> yeah, i am. >> how did you know to buy a sports jacket? >> i took a class in it. >> you left the price tag on it. j. crew? my fancy shmancy son. >> that's me. >> i'll just keep it in case it goes on sale. >> a really touching movie. i find it very moving. it moved me to tears at one stable, but it's also very funny. you must have had a ball doing it? >> yeah, if you like. if you like working that much, yeah, it was fun. it actually was fun. >> do you hate all work basically? >> no. >> what do you like doing? >> i love -- i love making movies, actually. and i love recording. that's what i love. >> you don't like performing in front of people. >> that's odd. >> it is strange. >> i never know what to do during the applause.
12:04am
i don't know what to do. it's like, oh, all right, let's go on to the next thing. it's a strange thing to be live in front of people. >> you consider yourself to be primarily an actress that sings, right? >> mm-hmm. >> whereas many people would think you're the greatest singer arguably that's ever been. i would argue that. >> i don't know. i only began to sing because i couldn't get a job as an actress who sings. >> the dream was always to be an actress, to be a star. did you want to be a star. >> i think when i was younger i wanted to be a star, until i became a star. it's a lot of work. it's work to be a star. i don't enjoy the stardom part. i only enjoy the creative process. >> on a desert island, all you can do for the rest of your life, you can sing, you can direct, you can act or you can just sit there drinking out of coconuts. >> i would say direct. >> that's the true love. >> well, directing is so interesting. it just sort of encompasses everything that you see, that you know, that you felt, that you've observed. it just -- you know, you can turn the camera on anything. oh, my god just turn the camera and you're in control of your work. you're in control of your so-called art. i like that. >> when i watched "guilt trip" -- and we'll come to your own guilt trips because i'm sure there are millions of them, as i have. but it took me back to your craerndisi anr 3 py h aerdiict % one night at my house. and they were talking about their fathers, and i couldn't relate to them because they had the experience of having a father. i came up to my office after they left, and there was a letter from my father that had been sent to me through a cousin who has the same streisand name in brooklyn in some synagogue. and she asked if he was related to me, my cousin, and she said, could you give this to barbra? and this was my father's girlfriend when he was 19 years old. and she found me through my cousin. and it was a poem written to her, but such a beautiful poem, and it talked about love. the only thing really in this world is love was the moral of the poem. with an enigmatic structure in
12:05am
it that you had to find -- you had to find the key to find his -- he's such an interesting mind. >> extraordinary. he was 19 when he wrote this? >> yeah. >> what did that make you feel? >> that he was telling me something. that it was to me. >> what was he telling you? >> it was this message that, you know, no matter what, love is the answer. that's why i called my album "love is the answer." it's also a line from a song. >> your character in the movie "the guilt trip" has been in love what, to the viewer has been in love properly twice in her life. to the man she married, then to this other guy that she fell in love with. how many times have you in your life been properly in love? >> how many times have i been in love? i should have prepared for this because i see you ask everybody, although you didn't ask mike
12:06am
i was personally fascinated by that. how much do you think it scarred you or did it just drive you? >> i think it did scar me more than it drove me. what drove me was the fact that my father's life was cut so short. he died at 35 years old. and it was -- he was listed in a book of great leaders of education. he wrote incredible thesises, if there's such a word of just wonderful observations. one of them -- he was a teacher and he also taught at elmyra and he taught english to juvenile delinquents. i could never read that piece till i got much older and had this certain experience. and then i was able to read it. and that was me. in other words, there is so much in the cellular memory or the dna because i never knew him. but at 16, i had discovered chekhov and ibsen and shakespeare. when i finally read my father's thesis, it was how to teach prisoners and delinquents through ibsen and checkov and shakespeare. >> have you been able to find out a lot about him and his character and his life? >> not really. although very mystical things happen. i was doing a concert. i can't remember when. several years ago. i was with my two girlfriends one night at my house. and they were talking about their fathers, and i couldn't relate to them because they had the experience of having a father. i came up to my office after they left, and there was a letter from my father that had been sent to me through a cousin who has the same streisand name in brooklyn in some synagogue. and she asked if he was related to me, my cousin, and she said, could you give this to barbra? and this was my father's girlfriend when he was 19 years old. and she found me through my cousin. and it was a poem written to her, but such a beautiful poem,
12:07am
and it talked about love. the only thing really in this world is love was the moral of the poem. with an enigmatic structure in it that you had to find -- you had to find the key to find nds -- he's such anntesng3 but at 16, i had discovered chekhov and ibsen and shakespeare. when i finally read my father's thesis, it was how to teach prisoners and delinquents through ibsen and checkov and shakespeare. >> have you been able to find out a lot about him and his character and his life? >> not really. although very mystical things happen. i was doing a concert. i can't remember when. several years ago. i was with my two girlfriends one night at my house. and they were talking about their fathers, and i couldn't relate to them because they had the experience of having a father. i came up to my office after they left, and there was a letter from my father that had been sent to me through a cousin who has the same streisand name in brooklyn in some synagogue.
12:08am
and she asked if he was related to me, my cousin, and she said, could you give this to barbra? and this was my father's girlfriend when he was 19 years old. and she found me through my cousin. and it was a poem written to her, but such a beautiful poem, and it talked about love. the only thing really in this world is love was the moral of the poem. with an enigmatic structure in it that you had to find -- you had to find the key to find his -- he's such an interesting mind. >> extraordinary.
12:09am
he was 19 when he wrote this? >> yeah. >> what did that make you feel? >> that he was telling me something. that it was to me. >> what was he telling you? >> it was this message that, you know, no matter what, love is the answer. that's why i called my album "love is the answer." it's also a line from a song. >> your character in the movie "the guilt trip" has been in love what, to the viewer has been in love properly twice in her life. to the man she married, then to this other guy that she fell in love with. how many times have you in your life been properly in love? >> how many times have i been in love? i should have prepared for this because i see you ask everybody, although you didn't ask mike tyson. >> there's a reason for that. >> trying to think. at least five or six. >> really? see, that's fascinating. does the wider world know all of them? >> you didn't how long it lasted. >> no. >> this love feeling or whatever, but -- >> how long does it need to last to qualify for proper love, do you think?
12:10am
>> oh, maybe seven. not that long. eight months would you say? or maybe years. years, years. >> some people have it literally in a flash. i do believe that there can be love at first sight. i know people where that's happened. they've been very happy the rest of their lives together. they get lucky. >> isn't it interesting? it's a recognition of something. i knew i liked you from the minute, but i didn't know that your father died that early. and there is -- you see, we never talked about it. you might have known that about me, but there's something that you recognize in someone's past. and it's a void that you roy in a way, don't you thing? >> i'm sure you have the same, but you're perennially curious because you never knew this person that despite that was such a pivotal part of your life really.
12:11am
that's why you're here. that's what i find fascinating about it. >> yeah. >> did you feel that your mother properly loved or or was there a sense of jealousy that you were
12:12am
leading the kind of life perhaps she dreamt of herself? >> she was a wonderful singer. my mother had a great voice. not like mine, not like my sister's, not like my son's. a high soprano voice, but like a bird. i mean, really beautiful. but i used to say, mom, why didn't you try to get a career as a singer. no, she said she was too shy. she couldn't do it. i'm basically shy, too. but that makes the difference. how do you succeed if you don't try? >> how did you feel when your mother died did you feel that
12:13am
you had reconciled things with her? >> basically, yeah. little -- a short time before she died, i remember going to her house, and she had alzheimer's. >> he has an amazing voice. >> look at that. he had never been on stage before, but he's done so much incredible work on himself that he actually could have the courage. he says i'm never going to perform. he said, i like recording, but i'm never going to perform live. i said, jason, when i heard him sing this song on this record he made, we've got to sing that together. you have to sing that with me.
12:14am
>> that was beautiful to watch. we found that on the internet. >> i've not seen that before. >> have you not? >> nope. we had that on the television show that's going to come out on mother's day, hopefully. but i've never seen it on -- >> let's take a little break. i want to talk about jason more. because i want to know if you've been on a road trip with him, parallel with the movie. let's talk politics. "the way we were," what rocks your political boat because i know for a fact a lot does. [ laughter ] my conversation with barbra streisand took place before the shooting in newtown. ms. streisand offered her condolences to the family of the victims. the horrible tragedy in newtown,
12:15am
connecticut, has brought to forefront a much needed and long overdue national conversation regarding the lack of gun control and mental health services in our country. i hope the story of sandy hook elementary finally catalyzes our nation and our leaders in washington to commit to do something substantive regarding gun control and access to mental health care services to those who desperately need it. we'll be right back. a little wh. but now she wants my recipe [ clears his throat ] [ softly ] she's right behind me isn't she? [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup. it's lots of things. all waking up. connecting to the global phenomenon we call the internet of everything. ♪ it's going to be amazing. and exciting. and maybe, most remarkably, not that far away. we're going to wake the world up. and watch, with eyes wide, as it gets to work. cisco. tomorrow starts here.
12:16am
cisco. sfx- "sounds of african drum and flute" look who's back. again? it's embarrassing it's embarrassing! we can see you carl. we can totally see you. come on you're better than this...all that prowling around. yeah, you're the king of the jungle. have you thought about going vegan carl? hahaha!! you know folks who save hundreds of dollars by switching to geico sure are happy. how happy are they jimmy? happier than antelope with night-vision goggles. nice! get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more.
12:17am
restore revive rejuvenate rebuild rebuild rebuild
12:18am
12:19am
the russians don't want anybody in spain but the spanish. is that scary? they're communists, yes, but they want total disarmament now. is that scary? hitler and mussolini are using the spanish earth as testing ground for what they want. another world war. is that scary? you're darn right it is! >> barbra streisand in "the way we were." that's my single favorite movie of all time. >> really? >> i told robert redford about it. he said he'd been resisting your clarion call for a sequel ever since. he's never made a sequel to anything he told me. he just doesn't believe -- >> i understand that. but this happens to be a great
12:20am
story. i wanted it to be released on
12:21am
the 25th anniversary, but we never made it. >> what would have happened? >> it just was a very interesting story about through their daughter and her political activism at berkeley in 1968 and the democratic national convention, which is very interesting. it was a beautiful love story again. >> now, i know that you're into your politics big time because we spent most of the last month e-mailing each other about barack obama and mitt romney. and you were tearing me off a
12:22am
new one, i believe is the american phrase, for what you perceived to be my lack of
12:23am
support for the president. >> that's right. >> i was more interested in the debate we were having. it was a good one, informative. >> i kept sending you articles. >> you did. and your man won. >> your man didn't? >> no, i didn't have a horse in the race. i'm british. i don't have the right. but my argument to you was i wondered whether mitt romney could be better for the american
12:24am
economy. >> god month.
12:25am
12:26am
12:27am
12:28am
12:29am
♪ can you hear me ♪ papa can you see me papa can you find me in the night ♪ ♪ papa are you near me papa can you hear me ♪ >> that's funny. >> you're wearing the same outfit. you just realized. >> that's very funny. >> what do you think when you see yourself from that era? that was from "yentl" in 1983. >> what do i think? >> yeah, when you look at yourself. >> i'm so objective when i look at myself when i'm directing a movie and i'm editing. it's always she, her, it's not me. like the character in the movie. >> do you see a beautiful woman there? >> not particularly. >> have you ever looked in the mirror and thought you looked beautiful? >> from certain angles.
12:30am
>> really? which is your best angle? >> well, my left. >> why? >> because my eyes don't look as cross-eyed sometimes. >> that's really what you feel? >> my mouth is better. yeah, i'm like two different people, i'm two sides, i think. >> let's take another clip from one of my favorite films. this is your film debut "funny girl." ♪ like candy and the sun's a ball of butter ♪ don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade ♪ ♪ don't tell me not to fly i simply got to ♪ if someone takes a spill it's me and not you ♪ who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade ♪ >> it's odd. >> fabulous, though. >> i don't like to live in the past. i like to live in the present. so it's always odd for me to see. >> we've got you from when you're 19 years old.
12:31am
>> you do? >> this will really torment you. >> whoa. 19 years old. ♪ when a bee lie sleeping in the palm of your hand ♪ ♪ you'll bewitched and deeply look after ♪ >> see, i didn't know then which was my good side. i look more cross-eyed there. >> i find that utterly spellbinding. all you're thinking of is i look cross-eyed. i'm thinking there's beautiful young woman singing like an angel. >> isn't that sweet? >> two different perspectives. >> we don't appreciate ourselves, most people. interesting. >> how have you resisted the self-masticated plunge into plastic surgery that so many american female stars feel compelled to do?
12:32am
>> i don't trust most people. you know, when i was younger, i thought, god, if only i could take off like that little bit and just shorten it just a little bit, but what if he screws up? you know? so i just -- and i really don't like the idea of changing one's face. you know, like capping the teeth or stuff like that to change a face, no. >> who is the greatest actor you've ever seen? because i know you love acting. it's your great love, your great passion, who do you think? >> marlon brando. >> really? >> no question. why? do you doubt that? >> no, i don't, actually. i remember interviewing dennis hopper once and he said james dean for him had the brando thing as well. >> but brando was first. >> yeah. >> no, he was fascinating. he would call me up sometimes. >> marlon brando would? >> he called me up once and said, sing me a song.
12:33am
and i said, marlon, that's like me asking you to recite hamlet. to which he proceeded to recite from hamlet. >> what did you have to sing? >> i did. >> what did you sing him? >> i sang a song called "nobody's heart belongs to me." >> just down the phone to marlon brando? >> and i remember sitting in my kitchen, i'll never forget this, one of those moments you never forget. this is before they had gizmos to record things. and i'm going -- doing hamlet. so i had to sing him a song. >> what did he say at the end of it? >> i don't remember that. >> was it a regular thing? would he ring you up on a friday night and say, where's my song? >> we once went on a short road trip together. >> you and marlon brando? this is fantastic. where did you go? >> he wanted to take me to the desert to see the wildflowers. >> i bet he did.
12:34am
>> and sleep over in a ghost town he said. >> now we're getting there. >> but i was such a nice jewish girl that i just said, marlon, i can't stay overnight with you. i'll go with you for the day but you have to take me home. >> so marlon clearly wanted to do more than just look at flowers with you? >> he wanted to sleep over in the desert with me. >> you turned down marlon brando? >> yeah, absolutely. >> how did he take rejection? >> it was fine. but i mean, he would do things like -- we would talk for hours and hours sometimes on the phone. it was great. >> what about? i find this mesmerizing. you and marlon brando, the greatest singer and the greatest actor just chewing the fat on the phone. >> yeah, we would talk for hours. interesting, when we went on that road trip, he had just done, you know, the sexual one "last tango in paris." but i never asked him about acting, but he told me, you
12:35am
know, it was interesting when he was telling me, and i'll write about it some day, but when i was older and i was doing my last -- no, i was "nuts," yeah. then he was telling all these things, you know, how he wears an earwig so he could hear the lines. a guy would speak the lines. i was saying to him, jesus, you know, marlon, i didn't want to know the lines of this movie because i was supposed to be under the influence of a drug, "nuts." but then he started to tell me. but i never wanted to ask him, impose on him. he came to my house once, and he said, okay, before we say anything, look into my eyes and don't smile or anything. see how long you can do it. and actually i was just reading a book about him -- >> how long did you do it? >> i couldn't do it. i kept laughing. but he was amazing. i see in this book that he does that with people.
12:36am
>> amazing. let's take a break, let's come back and talk about singing. >> singing. >> yeah. because i look at you and i see the greatest singer there's ever been. and i want to know how you do it. >> that's sweet. >> it's a fact. you're barbra streisand. >> oh, my god. hmm, it says here that cheeri i'm victor blackwell at cnn . that's true. ...but you still have to go to the gym. ♪ the one and only, cheerios
12:37am
britta olsen is my patient. i spend long hours with her checking her heart rate, administering her medication, and just making her comfortable. one night britta told me about a tradition in denmark, "when a person dies," she said, "someone must open the window so the soul can depart." i smiled and squeezed her hand. "not tonight, britta. not tonight." [ female announcer ] to nurses everywhere, thank you, from johnson & johnson. time for citi price rewind. because your daughter really wants that pink castle thing. and you really don't want to pay more than you have to. only citi price rewind automatically searches for the lowest price. and if it finds one, you get refunded the difference. just use your citi card and register your purchase online. have a super sparkly day! ok. [ male announcer ] now all you need is a magic carriage. citi price rewind. start saving at citi.com/pricerewind.
12:38am
12:39am
12:40am
♪ memories ♪ like the corners of my mind ♪ misty watercolor memories of the way we were ♪ >> so when we had dinner, i said to you i found this thing on youtube from you from 1975, a television special called "a funny girl, a funny lady." it was breathtaking. i've played it for a lot of other famous people. i won't embarrass them by saying who it is. big superstars sit there with their mouths open. >> really? >> it's just almost i would say musical perfection. but also you just look to dazzling in that clip. >> that's so nice. >> what do you feel when you see it? >> i can't see what you see. i really can't. >> really? >> i'm looking at the -- why was i wearing that kind of thing over the black dress? god, my hair was light. and i was a little chubby. >> you weren't chubby! >> no, no, that's okay.
12:41am
>> yeah, but you weren't. you were beautiful. the interesting thing about you is the singing. come to the amazing success you've had, but the fact that you've got so cripplingly shy when you perform live i found really interesting. you play this huge concert in new york once, 130,000 people. >> 150, that's okay. central park. >> and you forgot the words to a few big songs and it freaked you out so much you didn't perform for how long? >> 27 years. >> that's incredible. at the peak of your powers when you could have earned presumably a million dollars a night in vegas, you just stopped. that's some freakout you were going through. >> i know. >> when you get freaked out -- >> tell me how you're feeling. because you're barbra streisand. i didn't think that people with your talent could feel that way. >> there's probably several people called barbra streisand,
12:42am
meaning, you see me as this star. i don't see myself like that. i'm this girl. i'm this woman. i'm this mother. i'm this wife. you know. i don't dress up. at home, i'm -- i don't like to say schlump. but i was very comfortable doing that picture. i wore a sweatsuit and sneakers. >> what i loved about it is you were the least starry superstar i ever met in my life. i was imagining after all these diva stories you read over the years which i kind of half hoped were true. >> isn't that terrible? no. >> you weren't remotely divaish. >> i hate to disappoint you. what the hell is a diva? i don't even know. >> have you ever been one? >> no. >> have you ever screamed at people? >> yeah, i scream at people. i scream at my husband. it doesn't make me a diva. >> are you a perfectionist? >> i am proud to say i am. but there is no such thing as perfection, and i found that out when i was 15 years old. i wrote it in my journal that perfection is imperfection. so it has that humanity, a human quality. otherwise it's too cold, right? you can just strive for perfection. better word is excellence. strive for excellence. >> what i love about you is heading towards christmas, you can even sing christmas stuff better than anybody else. watch this. i found this on the internet, too. >> you're kidding me. ♪ silent night >> i like that. ♪ holy night ♪ all is calm
12:43am
♪ all is bright ♪ round yon virgin mother and child ♪ >> do you hear it? >> you're saying you found hoarse. >> that's hoarse. >> i got goosebumps. this is why you are such a perfectionist. it must be why you're so good. >> maybe because i never -- >> never happy. >> i'm never in love with what i do, that's right. >> what things do you do that maybe we wouldn't know? your secret. painted, you build great things. >> i draw. l - u' gatt at iveom dit y'vhainouli. is y igdas in the o tn ytngn e 3 arfi. >> yeah, i could imagine doing that. >> you wouldn't drive each other mad? my mother and i would last probably about a day. >> really? >> yeah, because we're just too similar. there would be too much arguing, i'm sure. she probably wouldn't admit it, but there probably would be. >> we never did that. i love traveling with him now on my tour. that was great. he brought his dog, i brought my dog, and we ate chosh habal. you know what that is, a chinese delicacy like a hamburger. i've taken my husband on my road trip. >> how did that go? >> it makes us closer. >> i've only met him once or twice, but he seems a very calming influence. a very self-confident, you know -- >> yeah. >> very unstarry, again, i really liked him. he's a very down to earth kind of character. >> he's very different than i am. i'm much more -- >> and hw ke -ô enic oye rl fe3 ng s rdto ory bgref f not dwell on the negative, but it's in my character to see things more pessimistically than optimistically. so i have to work at that. >> you also managed your career so skillfully. and it may be almost by default because you didn't want to put yourself out there much. >> lazy. >> maybe that, yeah, your words, not mine. but you haven't done that many tours or released that many albums by comparison to many contemporaries over that period, you haven't made that much movies. but each time you do anything
12:44am
♪ silent night >> i like that. ♪ holy night ♪ all is calm ♪ all is bright ♪ round yon virgin mother and child ♪ >> do you hear it? >> you're saying you found hoarse. >> that's hoarse. >> i got goosebumps. this is why you are such a perfectionist. it must be why you're so good. >> maybe because i never -- >> never happy. >> i'm never in love with what i do, that's right. >> what things do you do that maybe we wouldn't know? your secret. painted, you build great things. >> i draw. i actually draw. i take photographs. i wrote a book on design. that's interesting to me. because that's a lot to do with directing, too. it's composition and color and monochromatic frames. and that interests me. >> are you a naturally restless person or can you just completely relax if you want to? >> hmm, i think more so now i can relax. i mean, i really like quiet. i like to read and be quiet and watch films and -- or have interesting conversations.
12:45am
most conversations are not that interesting. that's why i like politics, political -- >> you're great at that. i've had some ding dongs with you which i've thoroughly enjoyed. you give as good as you get. no holds barred. >> no, that was fun. >> let's talk more about the "guilt trip." i want to know what guilt trips you've had in your life. and i want names. >> that's hard. i need you. i feel so alone.
12:46am
but you're not alone. i knew you'd come. like i could stay away. you know i can't do this without you. you'll never have to. you're always there for me. do you want to come on my co e anrella. fall in love with progressive's claims service.
12:47am
12:48am
12:49am
do you want to come on my trip with me, mom? >> you want to drive cross country with me? >> yeah. no. it's -- you know, we won't be gone long. it's only eight days in the car together. >> i want to make sure that i'm hearing this correctly. you want to spend a week in a car with your mother. >> more than anything in the world. >> don't you think i might get on your nerves a little bit? >> no, it was just a thought. if you don't want to do it, then fine. i don't want to push you. >> i'm so awful that you can't
12:50am
spend -- >> barbra streisand in "the
12:51am
guilt trip." it's a very warm film.
12:52am
it's funny but also warm and poignant in places. could you ever imagine doing a road trip with your son like that for a week? >> yeah, i could imagine doing that. >> you wouldn't drive each other mad? my mother and i would last probably about a day. >> really? >> yeah, because we're just too similar. there would be too much arguing, i'm sure. she probably wouldn't admit it, but there probably would be. >> we never did that. i love traveling with him now on
12:53am
my tour. that was great. he brought his dog, i brought my dog, and we ate chosh habal. you know what that is, a chinese delicacy like a hamburger. i've taken my husband on my road trip. >> how did that go? >> it makes us closer. >> i've only met him once or twice, but he seems a very calming influence. a very self-confident, you know -- >> yeah. >> very unstarry, again, i really liked him. he's a very down to earth kind of character. >> he's very different than i am. i'm much more -- >> and how much like. >> frenetic. relate to this -- died so young that i want to be remembered. i want to have made a mark here. and records and films, television shows, you know, they do that. they say you existed, you were here. and hopefully for, you know, good purpose. >> let's take a final break. let's talk about other ways you will be remembered most of which your charitable. i want to talk about heart disease and your philanthropy because you've raised a lot of money and made a big difference. >> i hope so. when you give a child a toy, it has to work. ♪ make just one someone happy and when it's a toys for tots child, well, what could be more important? so this year, every hasbro toy donated to toys for tots will be powered by duracell.
12:54am
happy holidays. duracell with duralock. trusted everywhere. i just served my mother-in-law your chicken noodle soup but she loved it so much... i told her it was homemade. everyone tells a little white lie now and then. but now she wants my recipe [ clears his throat ] [ softly ] she's right behind me isn't she? [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup. [ clears his throat ] [ softly ] she's right behind me isn't she? excuse me, sir i'm gonna have to ask you to power down your little word game. i think your friends will understand. oh no, it's actually my geico app...see? ...i just uh paid my bill. did you really? from the plane? yeah, i can manage my policy, get roadside assistance, pretty much access geico 24/7. sounds a little too good to be true sir. i'll believe that when pigs fly. ok, did she seriously just say that? geico. just click away with our free mobile app.
12:55am
12:56am
12:57am
12:58am
we thought it would be fun to trace your lineage all the way back.
12:59am
>> yes, it turns out jack t. burns that you are 1/23rd israelite. >> welcome to the tribe, jack. >> "little fockers." great fun. with dustin hoffman. did you like making that? >> it's not a challenge. >> let's talk about your philanthropic career. because that's been almost as relentless and productive as anything else you've done. one of the particular things that you're so keen on is women's heart disease. tell me why that's been such a passionate thing for you. >> because, you know -- i'm -- i dislike inequality so much, whether it's gender issues or gay rights or whatever. even in the medical sciences there is discrimination. so it turns out that more women die of heart disease now than all cancers combined. more women die of heart disease rather than men, more women than men die of heart disease. did you know that? i was so shocked by some of these statistics. >> until i researched this interview and i saw why you were so strong about it. >> right. >> it's startling. >> 50 years of research have been done on men. i'll tell you a funny story, too. you realize how powerful females are, okay? that even in the research, a woman doctor discovered how to grow a heart from stem cells in, you know, in a petri dish, whatever. how did she do it? you know how she did it? with only female stem cells because literally the male stem cells got lost. like in life. and they refused to ask for directions. now, this is true. canoumaneha years. 455,000 died of heart disease. and we haven't learned yet those organizational skills in order to raise awareness and subsequent funds to help that because women have a different -- a smaller vascular system called a micro vascular system. we need different equipment, different diagnostic techniques in order to examine women. and it's something that i really look forward to helping. >> good for you.